Sunday, August 22, 2010

August 18, 2010...a little justice...a little peace

I know that I should have posted this sooner...but this past week has been one of the hardest weeks I have had since we lost Amit two years ago. The recent probation violations and my need to take a stand brought me to a point where I had to revisit so very much of what I had been trying to move past.


Now, my hope is that we can all begin to heal again...continue the process to come to terms with the memories we must carry with us.


On Wednesday, August 18, Troy Lee Hovey was sentenced to 6 years and 8 months in prison. Troy must serve 80% of this sentence and must serve an additional three years of probation upon his release.


The following is the link to the Chico E-R article on the sentencing and the comment forum for the article.


http://www.chicoer.com/ci_15825100?source=rss_viewed


The judge almost gave Troy Hovey the harsher full sentence. It was only that he has no extensive prior criminal record that she chose to give him the "mid term."


The judge also shared that she had received numerous letters (for both sides) that generated a folder almost 4-5 inches thick. She read all of them at least once and some, more. She noted that in discussions prior to the sentencing that she and Mr. Hovey had had a discussion regarding the difference between a mistake and deceit and that Mr. Hovey had admitted that what he had done qualified as deceit.


Troy Hovey made his choices...he has admitted to his crimes...and now he must suffer the consequences of those choices. He has punished everyone...Deepika, Amit's family, Amit's friends, me, and his own family and friends by virtue of the choices he has made. In the end...we have a little justice, maybe a little more peace...we have the opportunity to heal...but Amit is still gone from our lives and nothing changes that reality. I cannot say that I am happy...I can just say that I will heal...as will so many others.


For those that are interested, I will be printing excerpts of my statements on this blog...


I will continue to post on both blogs...I will continue to try and make a difference, not only for Deepika, Amit, and Jevesh, but for so many others that must suffer the pain and heartache of such preventable and terrible tragedies.


Please...never drink and drive and never let anyone else drink and drive...Take a stand and do something...please...

No comments:

Post a Comment