Sunday, August 22, 2010

Speaking your mind...a spoken statement...

Speaking in Court

Much of what I included in my spoken statement was taken from my written statement...but it is important, whenever possible, that the court, the DA, the defendant, the probation department, and the audience, HEAR the impact and SEE the impact, that such crimes have on the hearts, minds, and lives of those that are left to pick up the pieces after such terrible tragedies. Regardless of their relationship to the victim...

I would never say that making a spoken statement is easy...but...it is important...for the court...and for the speaker...

I had my say in court...hopefully Troy heard my words, my pain, hopefully he came to more fully understand the impact his choices had on all those that care about Amit, Deepika, and Jevesh. Hopefully those people in the audience heard and understood the impact of those choices.

Many a disparaging remark has been made towards those people who have been involved in one way or the other in the recent arrest and prosecution of Troy Hovey. I will point out these facts...Troy Hovey made the choices two years ago to drink, drive, and kill, and Troy Hovey made the choices to violate probation. The Probation officer did his job, the DA did his job, Judge McClean did her job. Troy admitted to all of his crimes....even if he was unwilling to take responsibility for them...He admitted to the violations and admitted to the judge in a discussion of the difference between a mistake and deceit...that he was guilty of deceit. Those people who took the time to write impact statements and/or speak in court stood up for what is right...stood up for something they felt strongly about...

I will not apologize or be ashamed for taking a stand and wanting to make a difference. I would do it again in a heartbeat and I will continue to take a stand for victims of DUI. I will write impact statements, I will speak in court, I will publish my blogs...and in the end...maybe...hopefully...I make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment