Saturday, September 11, 2010

Updates in the news from Sept 7 - Sept 11


Yolo County crash kills teen, at least 7 injuredAssociated Press September 11, 2010 04:34 PM Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. (from sfgate)

Saturday, September 11, 2010

(09-11) 16:34 PDT Davis, Calif. (AP)

The driver of a speeding SUV lost control and overturned in a ditch off an uneven Yolo County dirt road early Saturday, killing a 19-year-old girl and injuring at least seven others, authorities said.

The girl, who likely wasn't wearing a seat belt, was thrown from the vehicle when the 19-year-old male driver veered off the road at 2:30 a.m. Saturday, California Highway Patrol Sgt. Marco Ruiz said.

Yolo County Chief Deputy Coroner Robert LaBrash identified the victim as Crystal Marie Rodriguez of Woodland. He said an autopsy is scheduled for Monday. The patrol had earlier reported the victim as age 16.

It wasn't clear how many people were in the SUV. Ruiz said there were eight total. However, CHP Officer James Hanna told KCRA-TV in Sacramento there were nine.

Victims were flown to area hospitals with major injuries, except the driver, who suffered minor injuries, Ruiz said.

"Based on preliminary information, the driver was under the influence and traveling at a high rate of speed," he said.

The driver has been charged with manslaughter and felony driving under the influence, Ruiz said.

No other names were immediately released. Ruiz said investigators were still trying to identify two of the crash victims. Many of the passengers were minors.

The accident happened a few miles southeast of Davis on County Road 35 near County Road 106.

Read more:


Colo. man nabbed in his car and squad car for DUI

Associated PressCopyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Saturday, September 11, 2010

(09-11) 09:41 PDT Greeley, Colo. (AP) --

A northern Colorado man was quickly arrested twice for DUI: Once while driving his own car, the second time for stealing the police car as he waited to be taken in. Adam Segura was being held in Weld County Jail after a brief police chase Thursday.

The Greeley Tribune reported Segura was handcuffed and placed inside a police car after a DUI arrest. He managed to slip the cuffs in front of him and take off in the car while police officers interviewed a witness outside. Officers chased him for about a mile before he was arrested again.

It wasn't known if Segura had an attorney.

Read more:


Wyo. man arrested twice in 1 night for DUI

Associated PressFriday, September 10, 2010

(09-10) 08:07 PDT Casper, Wyo. (AP) --

Police in Wyoming arrested a 67-year-old man for driving under the influence twice in the same night.

Police say Albert Metz Jr. posted bail on the first arrest Sunday night and was picked up again about three hours later after he drove away from the county jail in Casper.

According to court papers, Metz told the second arresting officer that he had been in jail and had not been drinking in there.

The Casper Star-Tribune reports Metz pleaded not guilty Tuesday to the misdemeanors.

Two years ago, the state Legislature rejected a proposed measure that would keep drunken driving and public intoxication suspects in jail until they sobered up.

Read more:


OC driver accused of hitting 9 charged with DUI

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

(09-08) 14:32 PDT Santa Ana, Calif. (AP)

An Orange County man accused of hitting nine pedestrians, including a 2-year-old girl who was dragged under his car, has been charged with drunken driving.

Forty-three-year-old Miguel Sandoval of Santa Ana was charged Wednesday with a driving under the influence causing injury, along with sentencing enhancements.

He remains jailed without bail.

Prosecutors contend that Sandoval's Chevy Suburban veered onto a Santa Ana sidewalk Monday night, struck a mother and daughter, who were dragged 50 feet, and then hit seven other people.

Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna says the dragged girl and another 2-year-old girl were in serious but stable condition Wednesday after surgery. Three other adults, including the mother of the dragged girl, were treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Read more:


Illini lineman suspended after DUI arrest

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

(09-07) 10:13 PDT Champaign, Ill. (AP)

Illinois has indefinitely suspended defensive lineman Michael Buchanan after he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving over the weekend.

Champaign County State's Attorney Julia Rietz said Tuesday that Illinois State Police arrested the 19-year-old sophomore at about 2:25 Sunday morning in Champaign.

He faces a preliminary charge of driving under the influence of alcohol and consumption of alcohol by a minor. Rietz says he is out on bond.

Coach Ron Zook declined to discuss further details about Buchanan's arrest or his suspension.

Buchanan played in Saturday's loss to Missouri after playing as a freshman last season. The Illini will host Southern Illinois on Saturday.

Read more:


Baby dies as vehicle plunges into S. Calif. river

Associated Press September 7, 2010 09:37 AM Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

(09-07) 09:37 PDT Apple Valley, Calif. (AP)

The California Highway Patrol says a 1-year-old boy has drowned after his drunken father drove an off-road vehicle into a river in the San Bernardino County desert.

CHP spokesman Joaquin (WAH'-keen) Zubieta says the Suzuki Samurai plunged Monday night into 9 feet of water in the Mojave River in Apple Valley. The driver had been off-road driving and was inching the SUV into the water when it plunged and rolled over.

Zubieta says 23-year-old Hunter Kilmer and a 19-year-old passenger escaped but couldn't get Kilmer's 16-month-old son, Ford, out of a baby seat.

Kilmer was booked for investigation of manslaughter and driving under the influence and remained jailed Tuesday.

Apple Valley is about 75 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

Read more:


Two injured in chain reaction Highway 99 crash

Staff Reports

Posted: 09/11/2010 12:45:32 AM PDT

CHICO — A man who reportedly caused a chain-reaction accident on Highway 99 near Estates Drive Thursday night suffered minor injuries and faces charges of allegedly driving under the influence.

The California Highway Patrol said Chico resident John Grimes, 37, failed to notice a vehicle in front of him slowing for traffic on southbound 99 about 5:10 p.m.

Grimes, in a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe, struck the rear of a 2009 Cadillac driven by Cecelia Reinhardt, 67, of Oroville. The impact pushed her vehicle into the rear of a 2005 Toyota Highlander driven by Julia Urbanowizz, 37, of Butte Valley.

Nicholas Filice, 20, driving a Subaru Impreza behind Grimes couldn't stop and struck the rear of his vehicle.

Grimes was detained at the scene, then released for medical transport, but the CHP intends to file a DUI charge in relation to the accident. A passenger in Filice's vehicle received minor injuries.

The CHP said all parties were wearing seat belts.


Jail, probation handed down in fatal crash

By TERRY VAU DELL-Staff Writer

Posted: 09/10/2010 12:17:30 AM PDT

OROVILLE — A Forest Ranch businessman Thursday was granted probation and given a 180-day jail term on a vehicular manslaughter charge involving the traffic-related death of a best friend.

The prosecutor had pointed out Christopher Patrick Howell, 40, had a prior drunken driving conviction on his record and asked the court to "send a strong message" by sending him to prison. In response, Howell's attorney, Anthony Cardoza, cited numerous letters of support for his client, including from almost every member of the victim's family, as well as many disadvantaged people who Howell had helped through his Chico-based telemarketing business and local fundraising efforts.

Friends and employees of Howell filled one side of the courtroom during Thursday's sentencing hearing.

In a written "statement in mitigation" to the court, Cardoza said on Feb. 28 Howell and his best friend, Michael Diekmann, 47, also of Forest Ranch, became stranded in their vehicle in the snow and drank beer and hard lemonade before being rescued the next morning.

Howell was returning to Chico, when he lost control of the vehicle on Highway 32 and slid into a tree, killing Diekmann. After being released from the hospital, Howell voluntarily entered a residential alcohol treatment program and subsequently pleaded no contest to a felony charge of vehicular manslaughter without gross negligence, which carried as many as four years in prison.

On Thursday, deputy district attorney Glenn Jennings cited a recent upswing of alcohol-related traffic fatalities locally in asking the judge to impose a mid-term prison sentence for Howell.

Having been convicted in 2005 of misdemeanor drunken driving, the Forest Ranch man had been "well aware what drinking and driving can do and the possibility of ... taking out people on the road at random," the prosecutor argued. Jennings said the court needed to "send the strong message this isn't going to be tolerated."

Cardoza replied the father of three was extremely remorseful and "will have to live for the rest of his life knowing that he had a hand in the death of his best friend."

Urging a grant of probation, Howell's attorney cited his client's community involvement, which included financial contributions and fundraising efforts on behalf of programs to help indigent and disadvantaged people, such as Habitat for Humanity, Women Build and the Torres Shelter.

The defense attorney added his client had also "gone above and beyond" in helping friends and family members get their lives on track, including the victim, who Howell had brought out from Nebraska to get a new start just months before the traffic fatality.

Responding to the prosecutor's comments, Butte County Superior Court Judge Steven Howell — no relation to the defendant — said he distinguished Christopher Howell's case from the well-publicized death of a popular Chico caterer who was hit head-on by an intoxicated wrong-way driver on Highway 99 in 2008. Many members of the local community had expressed resentment and anger when that driver, Troy Hovey, had been granted probation. Last month, Hovey was sent to prison for six years after violating the terms of his probation.

Saying Hovey "has no relevance to this case," Judge Howell noted Thursday the Legislature vested in judges the discretion "to choose between prison or probation" in vehicular manslaughter cases.

In addition to serving 180 days in jail, the judge ordered Howell to be evaluated for acceptance into a court "high-intensity" drunken driving program, during which he would be closely monitored and tested, and also to complete a one-year school for repeat DUI offenders.


Foothills crash hospitalizes two; driver arrested

September 10, 2010 10:05:00 AM


Two Yuba County foothills residents received major injuries early this morning in a vehicle accident near Forbestown, the California Highway Patrol said.

The CHP said alcohol was a factor.

According to a CHP press release, Andrew Fiske, 21, of Browns Valley was driving a 1992 Mazda MX3 north on Challenge Cut Off Road north of La Porte Road about 12:25 a.m. when he drove around a left curve too quickly and went off the right side of the road. He and his passenger, David Zabala, 42, of Loma Rica, were headed to Forbestown after drinking alcohol at the Willow Glen Cafe in Oregon House, the CHP said.

After leaving the road, the Mazda tumbled several times down a hill for about 100 feet before coming to rest on its left side against an oak tree. Fiske was ejected and sustained major, unspecified injuries. He was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence, before being taken to Rideout Memorial Hospital in Marysville.

Zabala was trapped in the vehicle and also suffered major, unspecified injuries and was taken to Oroville Hospital.

Neither man was wearing a seatbelt, according to the CHP.

Fiske faces a felony charge of DUI, according to the CHP.


Detroit police officer arrested for allegedly driving while intoxicated

Santiago Esparza / The Detroit News

Roseville -- A veteran Detroit police officer was arrested early this morning on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

The female officer, on the force since July 2001, was arrested about 2:30 a.m. in Roseville, Detroit Police Sgt. Eren Stephens said. She would not provide more details about the arrest other than the woman bonded out this morning.

Roseville police officials said their officers stopped the woman after the woman was alleged to have been involved in a hit-and-run incident in Detroit.

She was then turned over to Detroit officers.

The case will be turned over to the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office to make a decision on charges, Stephens said.

An internal investigation has been launched, Stephens said.

From The Detroit News:


FBI looks into Bisard's Hardees stop

Updated: Friday, 03 Sep 2010, 7:58 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 03 Sep 2010, 4:40 PM EDT

Deanna Dewberry

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - 24-hour news 8 has learned that the FBI visited a Hardees restaurant located at 921 East Washington Street. We've learned from several sources that Bisard visited the restaurant about 1:50 the afternoon of the crash.

He spent about 30 minutes there after he had his blood drawn at Methodist occupational health. The FBI took a copy of the DVD from the surveillance video.

The restaurant general manager told us, "Hardees is cooperating fully with the investigation."

Meanwhile we've been doing some investigating of our own. We want to know why trained officers took David Bisard to the wrong facility for his DUI blood draw. Police blame the prosecutor. The prosecutor blames the police.

After the crash that killed one motorcyclist and seriously injured two others, David Bisard wasn't taken to a hospital.

He was taken here to a clinic for his DUI blood draw, and a lab technician drew his blood. That doesn't meet the requirements of state law.

The law changed in March mandating, blood be drawn either at a hospital or by specific medical personnel.

"There was not any information brought forth by the prosecutor's office to inform the FACT team (Fatal Alcohol Crash Team) of those changes," said Bill Owensby, president of the Fraternal Order of Police.

But the prosecutor says that's no excuse. Even though some aspects of the law had changed, police protocol has not.

"There have been thousands, literally thousands of blood draws over the several five years at least. 600 last year alone where the defendants were taken to a hospital, not taken to a clinic. None were taken to a clinic," said David Wyser, Marion County Chief Deputy Prosecutor.

"The blood draw is in the event of a suspected DUI or impaired driver. No way anyone suspected officer Bisard of being impaired in any way shape or form," said Owensby.

But the police knew the blood draw was necessary in an accident resulting in a fatality or serious bodily injury. So why didn't they take him to the same facility they would take anyone else?

"Well, I don't know. I didn't make the decision to take him there. I simply responded to that location. The information I was given was that was deemed to be part of Methodist Hospital." said Owensby.

But Methodist Occupational Health is a clinic, not a hospital. So at that facility only specified personnel can draw blood to be used in a court admissible blood alcohol test.

Because police took Bisard to the wrong facility, the test, showing Bisard had a blood alcohol level of point-one-nine was thrown out.


Former Madam's 911 call lands Nye County DA in jail

Updated Sep 10, 2010 4:24 PM PDT

Pahrump, NV- New information is being released about the dui arrest of Nye County District Attorney Bob Beckett. It turns out a former madam is responsible for the 911 call that led police to Beckett's car.

It was none other than Heidi Fleiss who called police to report a suspicious vehicle parked in her neighborhood. The former Hollywood madam did not want to go on camera, but told us that despite the D.A.'s rap sheet, she was pretty surprised when she learned it was Beckett who was behind the wheel that night.

"I guess a lot of people make mistakes. But it sounds like that guy has made a lot of them," said Pahrump resident Jason Owen.

It's the talk of the town. Nye County District Attorney Bob Beckett has another run in with the law. After responding to a call Tuesday night, a sheriff's deputy found him drunk inside his county owned car.

Fleiss tells us she spotted a vehicle just a couple of yards from her home off the gravel road near her house. She said she was concerned, had no idea what it was doing there and that's why she dialed 911.

Sheriff Tony De Meo says the district attorney had no ID on him and failed all sobriety tests.

"Mr. Beckett was compliant as he was being booked and was respectful of the job the deputy had to do," said De Meo.

Most Pahrump residents still cant' believe the odds of Fleiss' call landing Beckett in jail. Especially since she too was booked in Nye County for driving under the influence of narcotics in 2008.

"That's really bizarre…of all people," said Pahrump resident Michelle Hebert.

Yet, they were not exactly shocked that Beckett was drunk at the wheel, since the four term district attorney also faced dui charges in California two years ago. Beckett lost the Republican primary in June. Although he has till the end of this year before he leaves office, many think he should consider resigning. Beckett was also arrested on charges of embezzlement this past may.


Assistant Principal arrested on DUI charges

By Brittny Krause

September 10, 2010 10:16 AM

MELBOURNE, Fla. -- Melbourne High School's assistant principal is in the Brevard County jail Friday morning. Melbourne police arrested Margaret Spinazzola on DUI charges just after 12:30am.

According to the police report, Spinazzola was pulled over for speeding on Dairy Road, and officers detected alcohol on her breath.

Officers say Spinazzola failed field sobriety tests and refused to take a breathalyzer.


Former NYPD Officer Admits Guilt in Fatal 2009 Brooklyn DUI Crash

2010-09-10 03:30:09 (GMT) ( - Illinois News, Justice News Flash, Personal Injury, Regional)

Brooklyn, NY– A former New York Police Department (NYPD) officer pleaded guilty to second-degree vehicular manslaughter for hitting and killing a woman while intoxicated in 2009. The officer is expected to serve 90 days in jail for the fatal DUI accident; a much lesser sentence than the seven-year maximum sentence he originally faced, reports the New York Times.

Officer Andrew Kelly, who was reportedly off-duty at the time of the accident, killed Vionique Valnord-Kassime, 32, on Sept. 27, 2009 at around 1 a.m. Mr. Kelly’s SUV hit Valnord-Kassime’s in the Mill Basin neighborhood, as she was leaving a wedding reception and hailing a taxi.

Following the accident, Mr. Kelly denied a request to submit a blood alcohol test. But, several hours later, when a subpoena was obtained, the blood test showed there was no alcohol in his system. The police department later investigated whether officers helped Mr. Kelly hide his intoxication.

Mr. Kelly pleaded guilty on Wednesday, September 8, 2010, where he also admitted that he was intoxicated at the time of the fatal accident. His admission of guilt was enough to satisfy the victim’s family.

Valnord-Kassime’s father, the Rev. Varius Valnord stated, “All I needed was for him to take responsibility, and he took responsibility.”

On top of the 90-day jail sentence, Mr. Kelly will receive five years of probation. In addition, his driver’s licenses will be suspended for one year, and he will have to complete an alcohol treatment program and install an ignition lock on his car.

Mr. Kelly will be formally sentenced on Sept. 24. He also resigned from the NYPD on Friday.


Portland Police Officer Jailed On DUII Charge

Scott Dunick Accused Of Driving Under Influence Of Intoxicants

POSTED: 3:06 pm PDT September 10, 2010

UPDATED: 3:44 pm PDT September 10, 2010

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland police officers have arrested one of their own on a charge of driving under the influence.

A police spokeswoman said Scott Dunick, a 47-year-old Portland police officer, was stopped in the early morning hours Thursday on Northeast 99th Avenue near the Gateway Transit Center.

An on-duty officer suspected Dunick was driving under the influence and called for a supervisor, as well as traffic division officers.

Traffic police evaluated Dunick and ultimately arrested him, police said. He was booked into the Multnomah County Jail on one count of driving under the influence of intoxicants.

At the time of his arrest, Dunick was off-duty and on administrative leave from the police bureau on an unrelated matter. Police did not say why he was on leave.

The police bureau's internal affairs division plans to review the circumstances surrounding Dunick's arrest.

Dunick is an 18-year veteran with the police bureau.


Woman charged after teen killed in hit-and-run

Updated: Fri Sep. 10 2010 6:14:35 PM

Ottawa police have charged Samira Mohamed Daoud after a 17-year-old boy was struck and killed on Bank Street south of Mitch Owens Road.

Alex Hayes' parents reported him missing Thursday evening when he didn't come home after his shift at the Foodland grocery store in Greely, where his mother also works.

Family and friends set out to search for the teen Thursday night. Police discovered his body shortly after midnight near the 5700 block of Bank Street.

Police say they believe Hayes was struck by an unknown vehicle sometime between 9 p.m. Thursday and early Friday morning.

Shortly after 9 p.m., police arrested Daoud in the area for drunk driving.

"I noticed her headlight was out and there was damage on the right side. Like I stopped and I saw the cop take her out of the car, handcuff her and put her in the cruiser and I stuck around so that they could get my statement and when I walked up to the car I could see a wine bottle in the cup holder, a wine bottle half drank with the cork in it," said witness Christa Charron.

Tragic end to a young life

Hayes' photo was on display at the grocery store Friday, where colleagues described him as a great guy who went to Ottawa Technical High School.

"He's a great guy to work with, a great guy to get along with, a good person to joke around with," said tearful co-worker and friend Leah Melbourne. "I mean it sucks that he's gone."

The woman accused of being behind the wheel that night is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 11.

Anyone with information about the collision is asked to contact Ottawa Police at 613-236-1222 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting, 613-236-1222end_of_the_skype_highlighting, ext. 2481 or Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting, 613-233-8477end_of_the_skype_highlighting (TIPS).

With a report from CTV's Catherine Lathem


Man pleads not guilty in crash that killed pastor

By Keith Eldridge


A young woman who lost her fiance in a deadly crash just two weeks before their wedding faced the man accused of killing him. Joseph McNeil, the man charged in Sam Stephens' death, pleaded not guilty to vehicular homicide on Tuesday.

Story Published: Sep 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM PDT

Story Updated: Sep 8, 2010 at 7:33 AM PDT

PACIFIC, Wash. -- A young woman who lost her fiance in a deadly crash just two weeks before their wedding spent Tuesday in court to face the man accused of killing him.

The woman's fiance, Sam Stephens, was a youth pastor in Bonney Lake.

Joseph McNeil, the man charged in Stephens' death, pleaded not guilty to vehicular homicide on Tuesday.

According to charging documents, McNeil told police he only had a couple of beers in the hours before the crash. But investigators say he was drunk when he
crossed the center line and hit Stephens' car, head on, early Monday morning .

The 24-year-old pastor was pronounced dead at the scene.

His fiance, Emily Nolte, was present in court on Tuesday to face McNeil and to grieve the loss of the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

"He was just an amazing person," Nolte said. "I'm sad I'm not going to get to build that future with him. I'm really disappointed. It's just heartbreaking."

Stephens' father, Mike Stephens, also watched as McNeil entered a not guilty plea.

"Well, I just thought, 'There's the guy that killed my boy,"' said the grief-stricken father. "That's what I thought."

But the family wants to focus on Sam Stephens' legacy. Some
250 people gathered Monday night at East Point Church to remember all that the youth pastor meant.

Church members said forgiveness will come for McNeil, but they believe he should pay for what he did.

Nolte, meantime, is struggling to understand why the love of her life was taken just days before their special day.

"I only know that God has good things in store for the family, and I know I'll get through it. But I don't know what he was chosen to go home two weeks before we were getting married," she said.

A memorial for Sam Stephens is set for Friday at 5 p.m. at Church for All Nations in Tacoma.


6-year-old lived life at bat

Boy killed in car crash will be buried in prized Brewers jersey

Treyton Kilar, 6, was killed last week in a traffic accident in Walworth County.

more photos

Photo courtesy of family

Treyton Kilar, 6, was killed last week in a traffic accident in Walworth County.


It seemed as if Treyton Kilar was never without his baseball and glove.

If you asked him his favorite class in school, he would say gym because he got to play baseball and jump around. A Brewers fan, Treyton's favorite player was Prince Fielder and one of his cherished possessions was the white Brewers jersey he was wearing when he got his picture taken with the All-Star first baseman at a fan get-together.

Treyton will be buried in his Brewers jersey.

The 6-year-old was killed last week in a traffic accident in Walworth County by a suspected drunken driver.

Treyton went to a Brewers On Deck event at the Frontier Airlines Center earlier this year wearing his baseball jersey.

"He waited in line, and he knew which ones he wanted to see. Prince was his favorite, and he got his picture with Prince, who put his arm around him," said his mother, Mary Kilar. "Treyton was so proud. He didn't let me wash that jersey."

He went to a few Brewers games; he watched the team on television and listened to games on the radio. He even watched Brewers game reruns and could recite team statistics.

"The one thing that broke our 8 o'clock bedtime was the Brewers game," Mary Kilar said.

Treyton attended the first two days of first grade at St. John the Baptist Catholic School in Jefferson, where his mother is principal. After school last Thursday, he and his parents and sisters took two cars to watch one of his sisters play volleyball for Whitewater High School in a match at East Troy. His mom is an assistant volleyball coach at Whitewater High School.

Treyton and two of his sisters, Rosie, 15, and Kindyl, 5, left East Troy after the match in a car driven by their father, Michael Kilar, 44. The family was traveling west on state Highway 20 in the town of Troy about 8:10 p.m. Thursday when a Chevrolet Suburban driven by Scott Dragotta, 44, of East Troy ran a stop sign and struck the Kilars' car, according to the Walworth County Sheriff's Department.

Michael Kilar suffered a broken bone in his neck and a broken sternum and is now at home recuperating. Rosie and Kindyl were not injured. When rescue crews arrived, Treyton was unresponsive in the back seat. He died at Waukesha Memorial Hospital.

Dragotta is suspected of being involved in a hit-and-run crash a few minutes before the accident that killed Treyton, authorities said. He was arrested and was being held at the Walworth County Jail Monday night.

"I know that his death was senseless. I know that it was horrific, but if there is one message from Treyton that he would want everyone to know is that there is no hatred, to use every emotion to love each other," said his mom. "We will be angry but we will never display hatred. Because that's what he was really about."

Mary Kilar was about 10 minutes behind her family on the trip home from East Troy High School. When she came upon the scene, she had a foreboding feeling and tried calling and texting her husband and children. No one answered. Moments later, she found out her horrible hunch was correct.

Even though he was only 6, her son loved to garden and spent a lot of time figuring out what he wanted to plant, putting the seeds in the ground, watering and tending his raspberries, pumpkins, potatoes, celery, tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers and two types of melons. One of Treyton's friends is bringing a big orange pumpkin from Treyton's garden to his funeral on Wednesday. And Monday night his family sliced up the last of the potatoes and green onions Treyton picked from his garden right before his death and baked them in a casserole in his memory.

"Before school each morning he'd say, 'I'm just going to check on my " Mary Kilar,'

Treyton also enjoyed fishing. The family lives on a hill in Whitewater near Trippe Lake across from Hillside Cemetery. It was Treyton's fishing spot, and he often went there with his father and sisters to cast his line.

"Ironically we picked out a spot at the cemetery where he'll be buried overlooking his favorite fishing spot," Mary Kilar said.

Treyton is survived by his parents, Michael and Mary; three sisters, Brittany, Rosie and Kindyl; and grandparents.

Visitation is scheduled from 2 to 8 p.m. Tuesday and 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 324 E. North St., Jefferson, followed by a funeral Mass at noon Wednesday.


Disqualified driver, suspended five times, caught driving

September 03, 2010

KITCHENER — A man whose licence has been suspended five times was caught yet again driving when he wasn’t supposed to.

Norman Wayne Fuller, 58, pleaded guilty Friday in Kitchener’s Ontario Court to driving while disqualified, failing to comply with a police breath demand and breaching a probation order not to drink.

Fuller has had his licence suspended five times for Highway Traffic Act offences and criminal offences such as impaired driving.

“The Crown’s concern is with the continuous driving while prohibited,’’ said prosecutor Ashley Warne.

On July 31, police caught Fuller pulling out of his driveway in Waterloo while they were in his neighbourhood to investigate a smashed window.

When he returned to his Westmount Road South residence, police blocked the driveway with a cruiser.

He smelled of booze and admitted to having a couple of beers. But he failed five attempts to blow into a breathalyzer.

In 2007, Fuller was prohibited from driving for three years because of an impaired driving conviction.

Just last February, he was convicted of having the care and control of a vehicle and breaching a probation order.

He’ll be sentenced on Oct. 19.


DULUTH, Minn. — An honors student and standout athlete who suffered critical injuries when he was hit by a drunken driver in Duluth is suing the driver and two bars that served her alcohol. By: Duluth News Tribune, INFORUM

Victim sues drunk driver, 2 bars in Duluth

DULUTH, Minn. — An honors student and standout athlete who suffered critical injuries when he was hit by a drunken driver in Duluth is suing the driver and two bars that served her alcohol.

Alexander Balluff suffered brain, kidney and spleen injuries when he was hit while walking with friends along a Duluth road last October.

Balluff and his father, Michael, are suing Julie Ann Gronski and the owners of Foster's Bar and Grill and the Runway Bar and Grill. The lawsuit alleges the bars served Gronski alcohol even though she was intoxicated. The defendants have denied the allegations. Gronski was sentenced to nine months in jail after pleading guilty to driving drunk.

The Duluth News Tribune says the Balluffs are asking for more than $50,000 in damages. A jury trial is scheduled for May.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.


Grand Forks man charged in Minot death

MINOT, N.D. — The Ward County Sheriff's Office has charged a Grand Forks man with drunken driving in the weekend death of a Canadian man at the North Dakota State Fairgrounds in Minot. By: Grand Forks Herald, INFORUM

MINOT, N.D. — The Ward County Sheriff's Office has charged a Grand Forks man with drunken driving in the weekend death of a Canadian man at the North Dakota State Fairgrounds in Minot.

Capt. Todd Keller tells KCJB that 23-year-old Tyler Fedyk of Estevan, Saskatchewan, was a passenger on an all-terrain vehicle that overturned about 2:30 a.m. Sunday. He was pronounced dead at a Minot hospital.

The driver of the ATV, 39-year-old Wade Nygaard of Grand Forks, was citing for driving under the influence of alcohol. A telephone listing could not immediately be found for Nygaard.

Authorities say Nygaard is a race car driver who was taking part in the Motor Magic activities at the fairgrounds.


September 11, 2010

Update: Victim of Woodland car crash identified

By Matt Kawahara

Yolo County officials have identified a woman killed early this morning after the car she was riding in overturned several times in a ditch off County Road 35 in Woodland.

Crystal Marie Rodriguez, 19, was ejected from a sport-utility vehicle driven by a 19-year-old man, who authorities said was intoxicated. CHP officials initially reported that Rodriguez was 16.

Woodland CHP spokesman Sgt. Marco Ruiz said the driver has been arrested on suspicion of felony driving under the influence and will be charged with manslaughter.

Nine people, including the victim and driver were in the SUV when the accident occurred around 2:30 a.m. on County Road 35 just east of County Road 106, Ruiz said. The 1997 Ford SUV was traveling at a high rate of speed and veered off of the road into a ditch, Ruiz said.

The car continued driving along the ditch before overturning and flipping multiple times, Ruiz said.

Rodriguez was ejected and killed, Ruiz said. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

She was the only occupant ejected from the car, Ruiz said. All others were life-flighted to various hospitals with injuries -- six of them with major injuries.

Seven of the car's occupants are younger than 21, Ruiz said.

Read more:


Woman sent back to prison on second DUI case

The Associated Press

Published: Wednesday, Sep. 8, 2010 - 6:36 pm

A Stanislaus County woman who spent time behind bars for a fatal drunken driving crash will serve more time in prison after being sentenced in another drunken driving case.

Prosecutors say a judge sentenced Charlyn Wood to 7 1/2 years in prison Tuesday after she admitted to felony drunken driving and misdemeanor hit-and-run for a crash in February where she hit a parked truck in Ceres (seer-eez) and later ran into a garage door in nearby Turlock.

Prosecutors say Wood's blood-alcohol content was nearly twice the legal limit after the crashes.

The 45-year-old Wood had previously served time in prison after being convicted on two counts of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated for a crash in 2005 that killed two people.

In that case Wood was sentenced to eight years in prison but was released after serving about four years.

Read more:


Ceres woman gets 7½-year term for DUI; also served time for 2004 deaths

(Same story but more detail)

By Merrill Balassone

Published: Wednesday, Sep. 8, 2010 - 2:01 am

A 45-year-old woman still on parole for driving drunk and killing a Delhi couple in 2004 is going back to prison after being convicted of another DUI, the Stanislaus County district attorney's office said Tuesday.

A judge sentenced Charlyn Wood of Ceres to 7½ years in prison after she admitted to felony drunk driving and misdemeanor hit-and-run.

About 9 a.m. on Feb. 3, Wood was driving with a blood-alcohol content nearly twice the legal limit when she struck a parked truck in Ceres and a garage door in Turlock.

She left the scene both times, prosecutor John R. Mayne said.

In 2005, Wood was sentenced to eight years in prison on two counts of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated for killing David Eugene Surkamer, 45, and his wife, Linda Sue Surkamer, 53.

Wood was released after serving about four years.

"She obviously has a serious alcohol problem, and she valued drinking and driving more than the safety of the other people on the roads," Mayne said.

A prosecutor originally sought a second- degree murder charge against Wood in the Surkamers' deaths because Wood had a previous drunken driving conviction in 1993. A jury acquitted her of the more serious charge, which could have sent Wood to prison for 15 years to life.

Wood's husband said at the time his wife expected stiff punishment but was terrified at the thought of spending the rest of her life in prison.

"It's not murder," Jeffrey Wood said outside the courtroom. "It's not murder."

In the 2004 case, witnesses said they saw Wood driving on the wrong side of the road, weaving in and out of traffic, shortly before the crash.

Wood got back into the proper lane before the fatal collision, but she hit the Surkamers' vehicle after going around a car stopped at a red light.

She had a blood-alcohol level of 0.25 percent, more than triple the legal limit of 0.08 percent, about an hour after the collision.

Wood likely will spend at least six years behind bars on her most recent DUI conviction before she is eligible for parole.

Read more:


The Sacramento Bee's Crime blog is a comprehensive report of crime news, trends and information for your community and beyond.

September 8, 2010

Citrus Heights PD using warrant sweeps, stakeouts to find DUI offenders

By Cathy Locke

The Citrus Heights Police Department has embarked on a weeklong program of warrant sweeps and stakeouts targeting people who drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Police are attempting to contact individuals who have confirmed active warrants for DUI-related offenses.

Officers also will conduct stakeouts to locate habitual offenders who choose to continue to drive even though their license is suspended for DUI-related offenses, according to a department news release.

Investigations of traffic collisions in the city that have involved habitual DUI offenders led police employ the warrant sweeps and stakeouts to keep habitual offenders off the road, officials said.

Vehicles will be impounded if it is determined that the motorist is driving with a suspended license for a DUI offense.

The campaign, scheduled to run through Sunday, is funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through he National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Read more:


Second-degree murder charge in CHP officer's death

The Associated Press

Published: Wednesday, Sep. 8, 2010 - 8:16 am

Prosecutors have now charged a young woman with second-degree murder for the June death of a California Highway Patrol officer near Paso Robles.

Kaylee Ann Weisenberg had earlier pleaded not guilty to felony vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence in the death of 47-year-old CHP Officer Brett Oswald, as well as to the charge of driving with a suspended license.

But investigators say tests reveal the 22-year-old Atascadero woman was driving under the influence of a high level of methamphetamine when her Toyota Corolla struck Oswald's patrol car. The officer was waiting for a tow truck when he was killed June 27.

The San Luis Obispo Tribune says prosecutors on Tuesday hiked the manslaughter charge to second-degree murder. Prosecutor Lee Cunningham says Weisenberg showed an implied malice, justifying the second-degree murder charge.

Read more:


KC Wizards head coach arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence

Published August 31, 2010

Associated Press

The head coach of the Kansas City Wizards was arrested earlier this month on suspicion of drunken driving.

Police reports show 43-year-old Peter Vermes was pulled over shortly before midnight on Aug. 23 and arrested early Aug. 24 on suspicion of driving under the influence. The arrest happened in Gardner, about 30 miles southwest of Kansas City, Kan.

Police say Vermes posted $750 bond and was released after spending about six hours in jail. A phone message that The Associated Press left with a Wizards spokesman was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Vermes is a former Wizards player and was a member of the 1990 U.S. World Cup team. He faces a Nov. 9 court appearance.


Prosecutors drop misdemeanor charge against Oklahoma St safety Victor Johnson

Published September 02, 2010

Associated Press

Authorities have dropped a drug charge against Oklahoma State safety Victor Johnson, though he still faces accusations of obstructing a police officer and driving under the influence of alcohol.

Court records show that a charge of possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor, was dropped Wednesday and an Oct. 18 hearing was scheduled for the remaining charges.

Johnson was arrested in July after university police responded to a suspicious odor complaint at his apartment. Officers said they found marijuana after obtaining a search warrant.

Johnson's attorney, William Baker, said a woman made a statement to authorities that she was responsible for the marijuana.

Prosecutors filed the DUI charge against Johnson in June.


Butte man sentenced for 7th DUI

September 11, 2010

BUTTE (AP) — A 48-year-old Butte man has been sentenced to 13 months in the custody of the state Department of Corrections for his seventh drunken driving offense as part of a sentence that includes 13 years of supervised probation.

The Montana Standard reports Randal Armstrong was sentenced Friday by District Judge Brad Newman.

Newman ordered Armstrong to undergo chemical dependency treatment. If he successfully completes the program, he could be eligible for release in six months.

Armstrong was arrested on a DUI charge on Jan. 28. While out on bond, Armstrong was charged with felony criminal endangerment.

Newman also gave Armstrong a five-year suspended sentence for the DUI and a consecutive eight-year suspended sentence on the criminal endangerment charge.


Sonoma County agricultural commissioner arrested for DUI, resisting arrest


Published: Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 2:22 p.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, September 11, 2010 at 2:22 p.m.

( page of 2 )

Sonoma County's embattled agricultural commissioner was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and resisting arrest after she fled from an officer during a sobriety test and had to be tackled to the ground, the CHP said Saturday.

The CHP said Cathy Neville, 53, was headed west on Highway 116 east of Frei Road at about 9 p.m. Friday when an officer spotted her Nissan Sentra weaving and drifting off the side of the road.

The officer stopped the car and was giving Neville a sobriety test when she started running in the direction of several small businesses, said David Derczo, an acting CHP sergeant.

Derczo said Neville did not make it very far before she was wrestled to the ground and put into handcuffs.

She was booked into the Sonoma County Jail on suspicion of DUI and obstructing a peace officer.

Derczo said Neville, who showed obvious signs of intoxication, declined the breath test but submitted to a blood test. The results may not be known for several days.

An animal control officer was dispatched to the scene of Neville's arrest after it was discovered that she had dogs in the car with her.

Neville, who earns $132,000 annually as the county's ag commissioner, has come under criticism in recent months for her decision on July 12 to fire the former director of the county's Animal Care and Control Division, Amy Cooper, two days before her yearlong probationary status was to expire.

The dismissal caused an uproar among animal care employees, nearly all of whom signed petitions given to county supervisors seeking Cooper's re-instatement, as well as among officials at other animal welfare agencies.

County Administrator Veronica Ferguson on Thursday reiterated her support for Neville, even as she announced that she wants to move animal care to the Department of Public Health on Oct. 1.

Ferguson said the move, while sparked by Cooper's dismissal, was not to be taken as a sign that she had lost faith in Neville's ability to lead the ag commissioner's office.

If approved by county supervisors at their Tuesday meeting, the move would effectively strip Neville of half of her agency's $8.67 million budget and roughly half of the department's 63 employees.


Please share this blog with others…feel free to “follow” the blog. I will be doing my best to provide a weekly update of what I can find in the news.

Always feel free to share additional articles/news/blogs, etc. that can help make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment